DIY Portable table top canopy





Hello everyone!! It was my daughter's 4th Birthday party, and we decided to have Ice cream as the theme for this party.

I always wanted to have a tabletop canopy for the dessert table as they look so beautiful!! And this time I had a perfect theme for it. It was difficult to find one in Basel so I ended up making it myself. There are many ideas floating all over the Internet to make one but most of them required a few carpentry skills and I have none. Also, they were made a day before at the location ( if the party is at home) or required time to assemble but my party was not at home and I needed something which can easily fit in my car and can be assembled easily at the location.
Here is my version of Portable Tabletop canopy.

 Size of my dessert table was 70 by 140 cm.

Here is what I bought from Jumbo.

  • One piece of a wooden plank of 240 cm which will be cut in two pieces of 120 cm each.
  • Two pieces of wooden planks of 100cm each.
  • Two 100cm wooden plank(each cut to 70 cm) .Note it should be thicker than the other planks.
  • Two wooden dowels10mm, 200cm long (each cut to 140cm )




Drill holes of app.12mm at one end of all the wooden planks except for the thicker ones. Now join the pieces as shown in the above picture.
You will have two frames as below
 Now stand them and put the wooden dowels in the holes drilled initially.






You will need two people for assembling. This is how it should look once assembled. It's not very stable, but it's good for the indoor party as this structure might not withstand the winds.




I tied back side planks with rope to give it more stability as shown.




 If you want to put it outdoors, I suggest you join one piece of wood as shown in the picture below for stability and support but this kind of structure would not be easy to transport. 


I painted all the wooden pieces in white to give a more sophisticated look.

For the awning, I ordered two-meter pink, white stripe cloth from Amazon. I cut scallops as shown to give it awning look.




And voila it's done!!!





This Tabletop canopy is portable and can be easily assembled at the location.


Comments